The BEST Lemon Sugar Cookies Recipe
I got the recipe for these cookies out of an issue of Taste of Home and just changed it slightly because I really enjoy the taste of lemons. The man that came up with the recipe is a genius. If I can find the magazine tear out of it, I will update it with his name. These are some of my family’s favorite cookies because they are aromatic, have a slightly crisp outer edge and are so chewy through the center. Bonus is that they are super easy to make and you don’t have to refrigerate the dough. Just omit the lemon if you prefer plain sugar cookies.
1 cup of softened unsalted butter
1 ½ cups of sugar
½ cups of brown sugar
1 TBS grated lemon peel
2 TBS lemon juice
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 TSP baking soda
Pinch of salt
½ TSP of cream of tartar
3 TBS of granulated or coarse sugar set to the side. Colored sugar would be cute.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a bowl big enough to fit all of the ingredients, cream the butter and sugars (cream means to mix until fluffy). DO NOT MIX IN THE SUGAR THAT IS SUPPOSE TO BE PUT TO THE SIDE.
3. Mix in the eggs.
4. Mix in the lemon peel and juice.
5. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, salt and cream of tartar.
6. Add the flour mixture in intervals into the butter mixture, making sure that each interval is mixed in before going on to the next.
7. Grease cookies pans.
8. Shape ¼ cups of dough into balls, place on the cookie sheet and flatten. YOU WANT AT LEAST 4 INCHES OF SPACE ALL AROUND EACH COOKIE. THE DOUGH WILL SPREAD.
9. Brush each cookie with water and sprinkle with granulated or coarse sugar that you reserved.
10. Bake for about 11 minutes or until golden.