Delicious Bedtime Cookies
What can I say about these magnificent cookies? If God and butter were to make babies, they would make these cookies. Light, crispy, simple and delicious. Pair these little numbers with a yummy cup of cocoa or for a more grown up alternative, I like to make myself a hot toddy using one part brandy or whisky, two parts hot water, cinnamon and honey to taste, enjoy. The perfect cookies to have before bed or any time of the day.
What you will need:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons heavy cream
3 tablespoons turbinado sugar such as Sugar in the Raw
A large mixing bowl
A medium mixing bowl
Cookie sheet or tin foil
1. Stir together flour and salt in a bowl.
2. Beat together butter and granulated sugar with an electric mixer at medium-high speed in a large bowl until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to low, then add flour mixture in 3 batches, mixing, and continue to mix until batter just comes together in clumps.
3. Gather clumps to form dough, then press dough with lightly floured hands into a smooth 1 1/4-inch-thick log on a very lightly floured work surface. Chill, wrapped in plastic wrap, at least 1 hour.
4. Put oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat oven to 350°F.
5. Cut chilled log crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices and arrange slices about 1/2 inch apart on baking sheets.
6. Brush tops of cookies lightly with cream, then sprinkle generously with turbinado sugar.
7. Bake cookies, switching position of sheets halfway through baking, until edges are pale golden, 12 to 15 minutes total. Cool on sheets on racks.
Recipe courtesy of Gourmet, March 2006 via Epicurious.com